Chicken and Hominy Soup {Easier Than Easy}



I am sort of sorry to see the soup season coming to a close. But I guess warmth and sunshine is a fair trade off.

This week has been mild and beautiful, yet on one of the cooler days, I took advantage of another soup and cornbread night. We had the fixings for the Chicken and Hominy Soup, originally found here, that we have been enjoying this winter.

I think the first time I tried hominy was while dating Espi. We were out to eat; he ordered menudo. The tripe did (and still does) sound gross, but I tried and enjoyed just the broth with hominy.

This soup broth is not like menudo, but it definitely has a Mexican flare. It is so simple, I am tempted to add a few more vegetables, but it really does taste very good just as it is.

Chicken and Hominy Soup

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons olive oil
3 bunches green onions sliced (I've gotten away with just 1 bunch just fine, and half to a whole diced onion substituded tastes great, too.)
4 teaspoons ground cumin
2 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
10 cups low-salt chicken broth
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can petite tomatoes in juice
1 purchased roast chicken, meat shredded, skin and bones discarded
4 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
3 (15-ounce) cans golden or white hominy in juice
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Preparation:

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add green onions, cumin, and paprika; sauté 5 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes with juice, chicken, and hot pepper sauce. Puree (I like the hominy whole; so I skip pureeing) hominy with juice in processor or blender. Mix into soup; bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes. Stir in cilantro. Ladle soup into bowls.

And we top ours with as much chopped avocado slices as we have available. With a slab of my favorite gluten free cornbread recipe, found here, it's good, simple eatin' on a cool night.


{my brothy version}


{Espi's chunky version--he, also, was the "lucky" one that found a bone in his soup that night--"lucky" for the kids, too. I had made prep a little easier than I even intended!}

Translate