Fun with Needle & Thread {Embroidery}

This past year I have been getting familiar with embroidery stitches. I have practiced fewer stitches than I could fill on both hands, but if I could get several down well, I think they would come in quite handy.
 
This week I set out to make a tea towel and practice stitches. Yet, my embroidery inspiration went beyond accent images for a useful tea towel to a full out picture when I looked through some of Cori Dantini cheerful artwork.
 
I used four stitches for this piece: split-stitch, back stitch, straight stitch, and French knots.

As I stitched this week, I thought it would be interesting to clock work on a project from time to time. As a beginner, it took me about 45 minutes to just split-stitch the title "joyous life." It is hard to estimate how long the whole project took as I would use 20 minutes here, 40 minutes there...

 
 
I am thankful for artists that inspire me to get out of my comfort zone...apply new techniques...and imitate style. That is what Cori Dantini's work did for me this project through the medium of needle, thread, and fabric.
 
.........................................................................
 
What artist have you been inspired and moved to imitate style or technique?

Translate