Healing Successes + a Healing Set-Back (Wheat Talk)

 I'm not "there" yet. 

This healing journey is a big experiment. I've been applying facts from healing testimonies and healing professionals. The best part has been experiencing the healing changes (so many; this post summarizes what I came out of). The reversals along the way have left me in awe of these bodies, motivating me on. 

I've become very attune to the variables and controls... So when I got sick in November for the first time in a year and a half, I was surprised but looked back to what had changed.

Wheat. 

I hadn't eaten wheat flour since our now 13 year old was a baby, except for a slice of sourdough bread from a local bakery from time to time. However, this changed this past July when a friend shared some sourdough starter with me. I had been eager to experiment: Can I handle wheat fermented? So weekly, (yes, weekly) the kids and I started making sourdough bread with whole wheat flour. We had fun, and I experienced no initial issues, until in November I got cold symptoms (actually, the whole family did). My head felt OK, but it was going into my lungs. I started feeling lung congestion for the first time in 1  1/2 years. Interestingly, I also, experienced arthritis in a wrist and experienced skin irritation around both eyes. The whopper this time, however, is that it didn't go away in a couple days like last time, I've continued to experience lung congestion, 6 weeks later! 

The following are a few things that have guided me with wheat on my healing journey:

*Wheat is the most difficult grain to digest and should be avoided at all times when reversing chronic disease. Wheat creates many blocks which increases inflammation throughout the body, especially in the digestive system (Dr. Pankaj Naram's healing diet protocol explains; let me know if you'd like to see it)

* Reading The Body Ecology Diet by Donna Gates (great read) gives a good picture of what wheat does in our bodies. Think paper mache glue gunking up everything it touches, including disturbing the wave-like motion of the tiny hairs inside the small intestines called cilia causing nausea, gas and/or diarrhea, telling you not to eat the wheat flour.

*In light of what Donna Gate and Dr. Naram explain, it reminds me of a Chinese acupuncturist I saw about 10 years ago who said, "The gut and the lungs are married." What I didn't understand then, I get now. If the lungs are weak, look to heal the digestion.

*Why am I having such a hard time clearing up my lung congestion? A friend on her own healing journey reminded me recently that it takes about 3 months for wheat to leave our bodies completely! I have some build-up to deal with.

*Finally, if I know all of the above, why did I even try making sourdough bread with fermented wheat flour? John Doulliard, one of the healing Ayurvedic professionals who has blessed my healing greatly, says that we "should" be able to eat freshly made sourdough bread when wheat is in season (it's harvested in autumn and used in winter). If we have trouble with it, it is a clear sign we need to strengthen our digestive fire and work on healing our gut. He says going gluten-free is helpful for a time but does not address the root issue--weak digestive health. Also, any processed food (gluten full or gluten free) will continue to weaken our digestion. So this year I played with fermented wheat and discovered I have further gut healing needed. Truly, this is not surprising given my diet before my healing journey and all the pharmaceuticals I have been on in my life-time (birth control), but especially during the 8 years of chronic health problems (for asthma, churg strauss, stroke). Sadly, all of these destroy gut health, so I am grateful to be off all of it now.


Additionally, I will share that when I went back to the whole wheat flour I used. It was not organic (so pesticides are in it; most of us know how bad that is on our gut biome) and it does not claim to be NO GMO. Organic and ancient grains will be my approach for future sourdough attempts...no time soon.

That has been the healing-set back. As for the healing successes, I completed 2 liver flushes in 2022. 

(taken shortly after my first liver flush)

It has not been easy to homeschool, flow with busy extra-curriculars, and manage our little home while setting aside time to do liver flushes. I'm getting better though. Giving the family a heads up and making it a priority (just making it happen) helps greatly. For anyone not familiar with a liver flush (let me know if you'd like to see the protocol), all of the work is to gently and safely release congestion from a toxic liver (think, lots of processed foods and pharmaceuticals contributing). About 5 days of clean eating and softening liver and gallbladder stones is followed by 2 days of opening up the liver and flushing out congestion. Liver and gallbladder stones are greatly released! It is an amazing healing tool. However, do not do a liver flush if you are on pharmaceuticals still. Also, at home or through a professional, you want to do a colon cleanse before AND after the stones are released for the most gentle experience.

Feel free to reach out with any questions. I plan to keep flushing in 2023 and continue to give my all-important liver more TLC.

Do you have your own wheat story to share from your healing journey? And have you done a liver flush? How did it go? I'd love to hear!

Blessed Healing,

Amy

Translate